Tuesday, January 17, 2006

North and South

Had an awesome, AWESOME weekend down in Reston, Virginia visiting my dear friend Angela and her husband Doug. Mike and I arrived late on Friday night, about an hour or so after Robert and Craig. Saturday started our gorge-fest, which only proves how well Ang and Doug provided for us.

We drove to a little town called Middleburg, which is in the middle of horse country, just in time for a slight Nor'Easter. We took refuge in a lovely little Inn housed in a building erected in 1728 called the Red Fox Inn . Once we were seated, we took some time to read the handy brochure provided that gave some insight into the history of the inn, and we were impressed to see that not only had the dining room where we were now seated served as a headquarters and hospital for the Confederates during the Civil War, but...wait for it...it had been visited by a young George Washington at one time!

After a light lunch, we headed back to Ang and Doug's townhouse and played a riveting game of trivial pursuit. I won't gloat and tell you who won, but let's just say that *certain* people kept asking Mike and I for a rematch.

Off we then went to Mike's friend Mike's restaurant (yes, you read correctly. It was just as much fun to type) in Adam's Morgan in DC. We met up with my friend Toni, whom I met in London about 10 years ago and who will be leaving for graduate work in Sydney around the same time I leave for Wellington. If all goes well, we'll at least have each other down there!

The restaurant we went to is called Baci and it was incredible!!! Everyone in the DC area should visit it at least once...although once you try it, you'll definitely want to go back: Baci . I had a glorious gnocchi in pesto sauce with shrimp, and it was melt-in-your-mouth good. At one point, one of the chefs came out and gave us a free dish of the house special. I think it was ravioli with eggplant and other good stuff, but I also had quite a few glasses of wine by that point.

Dessert was rounded off with a tiramisu that was voted the best any of us had ever had...hands down.

Here's a photo taken at the restaurant:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
left to right: Doug, Angela, me, Mike, Toni, Robert, and Craig.


Sunday was a bit debaucherous: woke up to a glorious, massive, insane breakfast spread, a la Ang and Doug. We then went for a walk around their neighborhood. When we came back, we decided to play some more games and tried "Catch Phrase"...which then snowballed into a crazy, wine-induced, raiding-of-the-pantry, 3 or 4-round game. It was a blast...but by 4:00 I had to take a nap!

When we woke up, Robert and Craig were leaving, but Mike and I decided to stay. God knows why we needed dinner after the bacchanalia that ensued earlier in the afternoon, but we wound up going to a Mexican place Ang and Doug knew of.

Went home, feeling very uncomfortable, and decided we should watch a movie. we settled on "Anchorman" with Will Ferrell. I think I made it 30 minutes in before I couldn't take anymore and went to bed.

Left yesterday at around noon, after a good hour or so of girl-talk with Ang.

I really really needed this weekend, on so many levels. I am so grateful for the friends that I'm lucky to have in my life.

No comments: