Monday, February 20, 2006

A new week

Sorry to have been out of touch lately.

Here’s my last week in a nutshell:

Thursday:

  • Powhiri (incredible – I am now determined to learn as much as I can about the Maori culture/tradition/lifestyle as I can. After all, it’s one of the reasons I came to NZ.)
  • Changed my Graduate Diploma in Arts degree in English Lit to a BA(Honours) degree in English Lit. This apparently has a lot more clout if I choose to pursue a Master’s degree, and would only require an additional year of research.
  • Enrolled in graduate classes: Drama & Theory, Drama & Theatre in Aotearoa NZ (Aotearoa is the Maori name for New Zealand; it means “Land of the Long White Cloud”), Modern Fiction: NZ Fiction for Children, and Renaissance Studies: Literature and Cultural Politics).
  • Went to a “Nightlife in Wellington” outing with a TON of other International Students. I was completely shocked to see how many Americans are enrolled at Vic. They’re mostly study abroad students on an exchange program, 19 years old, and use the word “dude” incessantly. Needless to say, it’s a bit disappointing to be surrounded by them, as I didn’t come this far to meet more Americans. Plus, these kids don’t seem to understand how our behavior is a direct representation of our culture here. But I’m trying not to judge. :)
Views from the train on my way in to Wellington:
Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket

Friday:

  • Went back to campus to pay the additional NZ$709.80 that my new degree is costing me, bought some of my textbooks, and met two of my theatre professors, who were very warm, welcoming, and accommodating. They also suggested I pay attention to their notice board for auditions, as their directing students have a ton of projects coming up that they’ll need to cast.
    Views of Wellington from outside the Theatre office building:
    Image hosting by Photobucket
  • Opened a bank account with the National Bank of New Zealand.
  • Went to a party hosted by the Victoria International office.
  • Went to look at my first flat (I didn’t take it) which also happens to be on the same road that my friend Tracey had her first flat. I’m starting to notice a trend…
  • Came back to Lower Hutt.

Saturday:

  • Sat around the McGuinness’, on their deck , in the sun…
  • Spoke to Tracey! (at around 1am her time).

Sunday:

  • Bought a mobile phone!!! Drop me an email if you want the number…
  • Went into Wellington at 2pm to watch the yachts involved in the Volvo Ocean Race leave Queens Wharf. The Volvo Ocean Race is an around-the-world yacht race that started in South Africa and hits stops all over the world. They took a pit stop in Wellington for a few days, and yesterday was the restart of the race. Try to check it out if they stop in your area (they hit New York in May). It’s really cool!
    Image hosting by Photobucket
    Image hosting by Photobucket

  • Took a drive around Eastbourne and Wainuiomata, which was spectacular to see.
    Image hosting by Photobucket

Monday:

  • Went back into campus to buy the rest of my textbooks and go to the PostGraduate Students Association orientation.
  • Got my Vic Student ID card
  • Got my student email account.
  • Met a woman from Brooklyn (holla!) who runs the Career Services office!

Finally, here's me starting on a tan. You have to wear SPF 30 sunscreen every couple of hours, as the hole in the ozone layer is apparently right above NZ.
Image hosting by Photobucket

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi doll! I just remembered you had a blog! So wonderful to hear what you're up to ... makes you feel not so far away ... LOVE the pic of you tan and happy ... looks so beautiful there - you made the right choice ...
Love you,
Cole