Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Shake, Rattle and Roll

So apparently there was an earthquake last night.
!
Nothing to be worried about, as it wasn't huge (update: 5.9 on the Richter scale), and since Wellington and it's environs are smack dab on a fault, they apparently happen all the time.
It was enough to wake me from my slumber, however, which is always a disorienting experience.

Yesterday was Orientation for International Postgraduate students. I was on campus and in lectures and seminars from 9:00 till 3:30...and I haven't even enrolled in classes yet!
One thing's for sure, they are really conscious of the experiences an international student can have, and seem to cover all the bases before you even realize you needed to know anything.
From 9-11 we had our official Orientation session, in which approximately 150 postgrad students (Masters, PhDs, Honours, and Diploma) attended.
Then there was a "Banking in NZ" seminar, followed by an "Accommodation" seminar.
Had just enough time to run out for a sandwich, and then had to come back for an "Insurance" seminar, and finally a "pre-Enrollment" seminar.
We then had to queue up to get our insurance situations checked out, and to have our passport information entered into their system. I'm telling you, they cover all the bases.
Today is a little more fun, as at 1:30 I go back to campus for a powhiri (traditional Maori welcome) at the University's marae. Since the Maori culture is one of the main aspects that attracted me to NZ, I'm really looking forward to this.
Tonight is a "Nightlife of Wellington" tour...and oh yeah, I have to pick my classes, get them approved and enroll.
Whew!
I met some interesting people yesterday: from Samoa, Fiji, Texas, Toronto, and Germany.
There are a lot more American students than I expected...but hopefully I'm the only one from New York!

No comments: