Thursday, October 12, 2006

Salsa love and Kai in the City

I have really amazing friends here. It overwhelms me how much they say they're going to miss me, especially given how we haven't known each other long. I am s so happy that I know them and know I can count them as friends for life. I can't wait to come back and visit through the years, as having these people in my life officially makes NZ feel like another home.
I really believe, when I sift through all the other more superficial reasons, that this was exactly what I hoped to find over here. Good good people and friends that are now a part of my extended family. Or, in Maori. my whanau.

My final salsa classes were on Tuesday night, and the gang surprised me with cake and a really lovely salsa send-off. Natalie was running aorund taking video and photos of everything, and eventually my teacher Rafa joined in on the action, having me pose with various backdrops and taking his own photos. I tell you, that guy is such a character and such a joy.
Brindha was the mastermind behind the cake, and she's probably the one I'll miss most...which is saying a LOT since I'm going to miss everyone TERRIBLY. But Brindha has been my best friend here, and we both found each other after we had given up on really connecting with someone. She, luckily for the northern hemisphere, is moving to Chicago early next year, so I get to have her back!!!

Anyway, on Wednesday, 15 of us (17 once Rafa and Rosina came after their class) had dinner at my favorite restaurant, Kai in the City.
It was a joint celebration as it was Brindha's birthday that day.




Kate & I



Brindha & I



Natalie & I




Britta


Jessica & Caroline



Nat & Alastair



Fee & Nat



l-r: Sharon, Jerry, Martin, Martin's wife, Tara, and Fee



Ashley (our fantastic waitress), Kate, and I



Brindha, Brooke, and Sharon




Fee, Nat & Alastair



Me & Brindha



oops



Jessica, Caroline, Britta, Kate, and I



Ashley & birthday cake



Rosina & Rafa (our salsa teachers)



Rosina & Nat










"Happy birthday to Brindha!":

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Nat with a message to Mike (unfortunately, you can't hear anything):

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Alastair helping to convey the message:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



Alastair using the word "antipodes":

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Nat and Alastair trying to keep the camera entertained:

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


(do not delay, make haste)


Jessica eating an oyster:


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting




Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

No comments: