Thursday, May 01, 2008

Blueprints



I'm having a gas with this production, I really am. I've known the folks in Gideon (both collectively and individually) for a number of years and it's only now that our schedules have let us work together.

Mac Rogers is an outlandishly gifted writer - I'm so not kidding - who I've been lucky enough to have been directed by and written for.


Sean Williams is a grand guy, and it's really pretty awesome to see how far he's come from our first interactions when I was in Magnetic North (and a harrowing scene together in acting class) to now where he's a full-fledged producer, husband, and doting father.


Which leads me to Jordana Williams, his lovely wife. I've known her as long as the other two, but we've never really worked together in any theatrical capacity until now. Her director's touch is clear and precise and strong and nurturing ... and I'm absolutely awe-struck by her ability to juggle directing and producing with mothering.


I can say with all honesty that this has far exceeded my expectations of working with these folks.


It's been really good for me.


And by the way, here's the "blueprint" given to the playwrights and from which they've created very diverse and distinctive pieces:

A Body lies on a bed. A Longstanding Friend surreptitiously examines the body. The Spouse enters and confronts the Friend. They argue until the Coworker enters to announce that the Medium will arrive soon. One of the three tries very hard and almost succeeds in convincing the others to stop the Medium from coming. Two of them have a confrontation that injures the third. The Medium enters and animates the body, which reveals the secret. Someone tries to leave. Others try to stop the departure.

No comments: