Thursday, November 06, 2008

Yes we did

So wow.

I'm still in a daze, you?

You spend two years getting your hopes up, then trying not to get carried away because you're so used to having the rug pulled out from under you, then having no control about how optimistic this person is making you, and oh my gosh he's like the kind of candidate I've always wished for and more, and who would have thought two years ago (or even earlier, when he spoke at the DNC and then you read his book "Dreams from my Father" and he rocked your world) that he would even make it this far, and every time he is tested and you think, "Well, that's it, they're gonna get him, because anyone else would buckle," and he is UNFLAPPABLE, and still never preaches, and still never tells you what to think, and is increasingly honest, and real, and realistic, and even acknowledges his imperfections, and then ASKS YOU TO HELP, and says WE HAVE TO DO THIS TOGETHER, because isn't that what government is about? You want someone to lead, but you want to feel like you're part of a team and that it's EVERYONE'S best interests that he has in mind, and this is a global issue, not local, and dear god am i sick of having to answer for the choice that other people made for the last 8 years, and you vote early because you just can't wait (and because you CAN!) and because you're ready for this to be over, and then Tuesday comes.
And that's the longest day I've ever had to sit through.

I thought I would need to stay home in the safety of our apartment to deal with the results. That's what I did for the last two elections, and wouldn't even stay up for the final word because it was looking so hopeless, and perhaps if I went to bed something would turn around and everything would work out by the time I woke up in the morning.
But we were invited by a couple of Mike's Peoria buddies who live here to join them at a bar for the election results. The more I thought about it, the more I thought it would be the smartest thing to do.
And holy smokes was I right.
We are so lucky to have moved to Chicago in time for all of this. To be surrounded by all of these like-minded but very different people and watch with them as the states started rolling in, was priceless. We were not in Grant Park for the rally, but the roar that erupted from all of us at the bar would have made you think otherwise. And, I know it's corny, but you couldn't control the tears. The amount of pride that exuded just from that little bar was overpowering.

No comments: