Friday, January 30, 2009

Wait, wait!

Last night we went with our friend Jack to a live taping of the NPR program "Wait, Wait...Don't Tell Me!" at the Chase Auditorium.

I'm embarrassed to say that I think I'm one of the only people who had never heard of the show, especially after hearing the reactions from every one I mentioned it to. The panelists were Roy Blount, Jr., Paul Provenza, and Allison Stewart. I was familiar with Provenza from his comedy in the 80s/90s, and remembered Stewart when she was a wee lass on MTV News (but has moved on to much bigger and better), but wasn't familiar with Blount. According to his Wikipedia entry, "On the show, Blount is known for outrageous dead-pan comments which frequently reduce the panel to tears of laughter." I was totally charmed by his demeanor and humor, and he even reminded me of my Uncle Jerry down in South Carolina.

The "What's My Job" guest was Carrie Fisher. I've always really liked her, and she regaled everyone with insane (sometimes literally) stories from her past. She's one funny lady. I only wish she were there in person so we could get the full dose of her personality.

We had a great time, and can't wait to hear the finished product this Saturday morning.

No comments: