Tuesday, September 21, 2010

How We're Doing It - The Rings


Here's one of those instances where we probably could have done a much better job at being ethically and environmentally responsible. Unfortunately, we didn't do the homework on ring-shopping until one of the rings was already bought.
Mike's ring was bought on a hunch, and we're not making any apologies for it. It was exactly what he wanted, was the right price, and from a very reputable local jeweler. We're extremely happy with it and I can't wait to spend a lifetime with it on his finger.
When I started looking for my ring - I knew that I had some time to play with, especially since I wanted something really simple. It's just not important to me to have all the crazy bells and whistles on my finger when we've got a whole life to plan and budget for. I was also interested in seeing what I could get out of recycled material. There were a few online vendors that offered recycled wedding rings (made out of recycled metals - not a ring that was once worn by someone else. Gross.), but I wasn't too keen on buying one before seeing it.

A quick Google search led me to Leber Jewelers. They're a local Chicago company who specialize in Earthwise jewelry, "constructed using reclaimed and re-refined 18k gold or platinum". They've got beautiful, custom-made jewelry at a really sensible price. Plus they are directly involved in lobbying for responsible issues:

We are dedicated to working towards a better world through direct involvement in a wide number of initiatives relating to human rights and the environment. Each year we commit a significant amount of time and financial resources towards advocacy efforts locally, nationally, and abroad in support of developmental projects throughout the globe. (http://www.leberjeweler.com/about/)


I took a look at their stuff online, walked into the story on a Saturday afternoon, and got exactly what I wanted. I don't think the sale took longer than 10 minutes. The ring is simple, beautiful, and made from recycled material. And it's mine. :)

No comments: