Monday, June 19, 2006

Dancing with Beatrice

Surprise! This is not about my salsa classes, nor is it about Bea Arthur.

This is actually about Dancing With the Stars...kiwi style.

Since I've been in Wellington, I've found myself watching lots of American programs that I never really bothered with when living there: Grey's Anatomy, House, The Simpsons and Boston Legal to name a few. It's really interesting to see which shows travel all the way over here: of course Desperate Housewives made it, as did Lost, and Prison Break's about to start on its path to world domination on Wednesday. (Side note: if I haven't bored you to tears already about my fleeting experience hanging out with Wentworth Miller for a day back in his Princeton years, suffice to say I can't even wrap my head around how popular he is. The icing on the cake, for now at least, is having his lovely self following me all the way to the other side of the world. Seeing him everywhere in the US was hard enough to process, but now it's getting weird).
What boggles my mind even more are the other shows that make it over here: Twins (with Melanie Griffith and Cousin Larry), Ghost Whisperer, Joey, Two and a Half Men, Extreme Makoeover: Home Edition, The Creflo Dollar Show.

Anyhoo...not to be outdone by the States, NZ has its own version of Dancing With the Stars (which I never watched in NY). Last season former All Black Norm Hewitt won:




This season it's down to a former Miss World (Lorraine Downes) and an Olympic discus thrower (Beatrice Faumuina). I'm rooting for "Queen Bea" not because at first glance she seems the underdog, but because she's got the whole bleedin' package:

She gets up there, big and beautiful, and seems to have the best time ever. Last week, she even flipped her partner during the jive where the guys usully do the flipping. She's lovely and humble, and just...well...the shit.

You know who I'm voting for (if voting were free, of course. In lieu of that, I'm sending out tons of vibes...)

No comments: