Thursday, February 25, 2010

Weekend in NYC

Last weekend was amazing. I won't get into my crazy-awful reaction to NY in a matter of hours; instead I'll focus on how wonderful our friends and family are.
Friday morning we had an early flight into JFK and arrived in NYC around 2:00.


Mike at O'Hare





We got to my friend Robert's place where he (and his 3 giants pups) greeted us. That evening, we took Rob and his partner Craig (pup-owner extraordinaire) out to dinner at our fave restaurant Nelson Blue. I broke my purported veganism that evening by eating their famously delicious green-lipped mussels - and don't regret a bite! We also ran into Mike's buddy and former band-mate Eric there, because NYC really is a small world. From there we walked over to the Sea-horse for some cocktails. If you're a fan of Cowgirl Hall of Fame, you won't be disappointed with Sea-horse (same owners). And maybe you'll be as lucky as we were and have the coolest, saltiest bartenderess in all of the city.

Saturday Mike ran around buying stuff for the party while Robert and I trekked to Brooklyn. We were officially on my first bridal gown shopping excursion, and I had made an appointment at Kimera on Atlantic Avenue. Now - I had very little by way of expectation for this shop only because I was treating it as a reconnaissance mission. I just thought, "oh, here's a nice way to get my feet wet with all of this gown nonsense." I had, however, also heard wonderful things about the designer's work and that she was able to make custom-made gowns for ridiculously reasonable prices. So I went in with a couple of photos I had found online of other brides that had their dresses made at Kimera. After about 30 minutes of chatting, looking at fabrics, designs, sashes, and various other accoutrements, I left feeling really good about the designer, the shop, and the potential of getting my dress there. I will leave it at that.

Finally - Saturday night! Party night!
We invited 30-40 people to Robert's place for an informal engagement party - although we really just wanted an excuse to see everyone we had been missing. Robert & Craig provided the vino and liquor, my buddy Jeremiah provided the delicious food (from his restaurant - Mama's Food Shop), and I made some vegan chocolate peanut butter cups.



Hitting the bubbly and waiting for the party



Our dear friend Liz (and the lass responsible for introducing Mike and I)



Greg (Liz's husband and an awesome friend) and Roberto (our host and also our celebrant!)



Craig (Robert's partner and our wonderful host)



Yay! Probably the only time we sat down that night



Liz and I



Sweet Angela all the way from Tennessee (and my MOH!) and my wonderful friend Tracey




Newlyweds Sarah and Todd, and Julian



Friends from high school! Who would have thought they'd be at my engagement party after 20 years...so wonderful!



The crew from WMA



Mike and I and the girls from high school (Clara & Shira)





The morning after, and the wine we somehow transported back to Chicago



Slate (one of the three wonderful mascots from our weekend)




Stone on his throne (with Craig)




Stone, Slate & Boulder




Exhausted...and flying home



1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love the pics! I'm so sorry I couldn't be there to celebrate! - Mel